Image Map

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Classroom Tour (Part 2)

Yesterday, I shared some pictures from my classroom with you.  (Find Part 1 of the tour here.)  There ended up being so many pictures I wanted to show you, so I divided my "classroom tour" into two posts.  Twice the fun, right? :) 

These cute frames sit on top of our mailboxes and greets visitors as they walk into the room.  Remember how I said students should see their name in the classroom as much as possible? :)  The first idea came from Susan, a fabulous computer teacher at my last school.  Check out her blog, The Digital Scoop, for directions to make your own! 

This frame is changed every couple of days to celebrate a student in our class!
Find a free printable on my TPT store here!

 

My desk area...probably the most cluttered part of the room, but it works! :)


The front of my classroom...
I typically use this board for general class reminders and anchor charts.

I usually teach guided reading twice a week, and I have a Special Education teacher who co-teaches reading with me.  I love being able to meet with every group each day, but wish it worked to do guided every day!  I use one of the white boards to post the groups and stations. 

Part of the other white board is used for our class schedule and other miscellanious information.  Students sign up for Library and Accelerated Reader if needed in the morning and I call them to use the library or take A.R. tests during morning bellwork or independent reading time in the afternoon.  I think posting a daily schedule is SO important.  Kids crave routine, and knowing about any changes in the schedule before the day starts helps everything run more smoothly.  Notice I don't post times next to the schedule because kids also love to correct me any time I'm a little off schedule! :) 

The tally T-chart was an idea from my mom (a first grade teacher).  The class earns points for things like receiving a compliment from another teacher, getting all of our homework in, working extra quietly, etc.  The teacher gets points if the class is too talkative, poor report from a sub, etc.  The first to ten gets to roll the dice for a special prize.  Each number on the dice means something different, like movie, popsicles, extra recess, pajamas, etc.  My kids are so good this year that I haven't won yet, but my mom makes a big deal about getting to take her shoes off in the classroom if she wins, or something small like that.

 

Students earn their owl on the door when the complete the Genre Challenge.  Read more about the Genre Challenge in yesterday's post. 


Our "Morning Meeting" board is located in the reading area.  We meet around this board every morning for our meeting, and any other time I want the students to gather on the rug.  Yes, even fourth graders can still sit on the floor for stories and lessons! :)  I post the monthly calendar (can be purchased at Schoolgirl Style), weekly objectives or "targets," and the strategy we use for selecting independent reading books.  I would highly recommend posting objectives in your classroom.  The kids learn so much in a week, that it is sometimes hard for them to determine what it is that is most important.  If I forget to share the objectives one week, I always have someone who reminds me, so I really do think it is helpful to them!  The objectives posters can be found here.

 

These two boards are along the same wall.  Does the "Owl-Stars" board look familiar?  I posted my V.I.P. board on yesterday's tour, but once we have made it through every student, the board becomes a display for students who have mastered the district "priority words" (spelling words).  The stars are made from cute scrapbook paper and laminated.  

Since writing is SO important in 4th, I wanted to dedicate a board to writing!  I have the six traits and figurative language vocabulary posted.  I also keep rings of leads and endings for students to use during Writer's Workshop under the board.  The posters on the "Wise Writers" board were found on Teachers Pay Teachers.
 
  


  

I love my reading table!  I really enjoy working with small groups, so I think that might be why! :) 


How cute are my folder covers?  Find them on Schoolgirl Style.


I keep a lot of miscellanious items on my back counter: turn in baskets, pencil sharpener, paper tray, science materials...boring right?  But these cute little guys jazz it up a little!  After finding this idea on Pinterest, I headed to Target for cute lanterns and Archivers for the scrapbook paper.  I got out my hot glue gun, and Voila, adorable mascots for my owl themed classroom!


The Word Wall is currently displaying the 4th grade priority words.  It also usually includes vocabulary for each reading story.


My favorite board...I just LOVE birthdays!  Notice Lucy is also part of our birthday display...she even wore her party hat and brought treats for the kiddos on March 6th!  We ALL love Lucy!  
 
Hope you enjoyed the tour!  I'd love for you to leave me your comments and ideas as I begin to think about next year's classroom!  Thanks so much for stopping by! :) 

Find me on Facebook and Pinterest!


post signature 



7 comments:

  1. I love the paper lantern owls! I also loved how you talked about writing the schedule up on the board. I think your numbers are great anchors as well! Keep up the blogging Jenna. I love reading it, you have great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Will you please tell me what font you made your "Morning Meeting" with? Thanks and have a wonderful summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kim! The letters were made with the Pineapple Delight font by Kimberly Geswein. It can be found here: http://www.fontspace.com/kimberly-geswein/pineapple-delight

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still lovin' the owls! What are the 3 signs next to the calendar?

    Melanie @ Finding the Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie! The three signs are my owl-themed objectives posters. I post our weekly "targets" in kid-friendly language and discuss them at our Monday morning meeting. If I forget, the kids usually ask what the objectives are, which tells me they really want to know what is coming up!

      You can find them on TPT here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Weekly-Objective-Posters-for-Core-Subjects-Owl-Themed-280989

      Delete
  5. Hello! I love your blog! I found you through Teacher Market. I was wondering where you got all the genre posters???

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! I am just seeing that I never replied to your post! I actually replaced the old posters this year with cuter new ones :-) Here is the link to those:

      http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Genre-Posters-Colorful-Chevron-Theme-849780

      Delete